Historical, boutique hotels and apartments in historical buildings in Warsaw
Historical hotels are unique places, usually located in the buildings of historical value that combine history, cultural heritage of a specific area, architecture, tradition, customs and regional cuisine with modernity. In Poland, there are several hundred of such buildings in the palaces, castles or tenements renovated after the World War II. In Warsaw, there are a few places that were used as hotels before the war, survived military actions and function as hotels to this day.
Boutique hotels are usually not run by large hotel chains. They are refined, unique small places designed by famous designers in an individual way. They are characterized by cosiness, intimacy and personalized service of the highest level. They are usually located in the city centre or in old parts of the city in adapted, renovated historical tenements.
The apartments are multifunctional flats of high standard and metric area. Furnishing of an apartment is unique and quality of used materials is above‑standard. Interiors are created by famous designers. These rules also apply to hotel apartments. They are mostly located in a prestigious district, in an interestingly designed building with its own reception and spacious waiting room. Those that we describe in this list are located in old, renovated tenements in the centre of a city.
In Warsaw, there are probably more such unique historical places. We will gladly visit them and describe within the framework of our project. We are looking forward to cooperate.
Hotel Bristol, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Warsaw | Hotel Raffles Europejski Warsaw | Hotel Polonia Palace | Mamaison Hotel Le Regina, Warsaw | Hotel Indigo | Napoleoński Inn | H15 Boutique Hotel | Nobu Hotel Warsaw | Hotel Bellotto | Residence St. Andrews Palace | Castle INN | Hotel Warszawa | Tiffi Old Town Hotel | Teatro Hotel | Arthotel Stalowa 52 | Autor Rooms | Residence 1898 | Chopin Boutique B&B
Bristol Hotel, A Luxury Collection Warsaw
At Krakowskie Przedmieście 42/44, in a former palace of Tarnowski family, erected in 1802, the construction of the most popular hotel in Warsaw started, which has been later called Bristol Hotel. Among shareholders of the company, there was a person known to all Poles, Ignacy Paderewski – a pianist, politician and businessman. The first design of the hotel was prepared in Art Noveau style by Tadeusz Stryjeński. Making changes to the design was commissioned to Władysław Marconi, who created a neo‑Renaissance mass of the building, whereas, Art Noveau interior was designed by Otto Wagner junior. Bristol Hotel was opened in 1901. The hotel building was a five‑storeyed quadrilateral with eight storeys around internal backyard. At the top, there was a terrace called gloriette, with a view of Warsaw. The hotel was equipped with electrical installation, central heating, ventilation, moreover, six phone numbers were assigned to it, while there were only 800 of them in entire Warsaw. The hotel housed a restaurant, coffee house and shops. Elevators, including exceptional – crystal one – for eight people caused a sensation. The journalists wrote that it was “a carriage from a tale of enchanted princess”. Interwar period was the time of the magnificence of the hotel. Great banquets and balls in honour of important personages were held there, among others, for Maria Skłodowska Curie, after receiving the Noble Prize and in 1923, farewell banquet for Józef Piłsudski when he decided to leave politics. In 1928, Paderewski left Poland and new owner of the Bristol Hotel became the Sugar Industry Bank in Poznań. In 1939, the hotel housed a hospital, and during the World War II, Germans were quartered here. In 1952, the owner of the hotel became Orbis company. Unfortunately, under its management, the building did not recover its past glory. In 1981, Bristol was closed, however, the coffee house remained a popular meeting place of Warsaw glitterati. The hotel was opened again on April 17, 1993. In the years 1998-2013, it was a part of Royal Meridien, and since January 2013, after renovation, it has joined The Luxury Collection. At the entrance to the cult hotel coffee house, loved by the inhabitants of Warsaw, modern art installation was created with the surnames of hundreds of famous people who visited the hotel over 100 years of its existence. Moreover, avant‑garde bar Lane’s was opened next to the coffee house. Bristol Hotel is regarded as outstanding Art Noveau work of art, and interior of the hotel in art deco style is really impressive. The hotel offers 168 rooms and 38 apartments.
Krakowskie Przedmieście 42/44
Raffles Europejski Hotel Warsaw
It is one of three most popular historical hotels in Warsaw. Its history dates back to the 17th century, when it was a palace of Poznań bishop – Stefan Wierzbowski. The palace was then sold to the magnates from Radziwiłł family, then to the prince Jerzy Lubomirski and Grand Marshal of Lithuania Ignacy Ogiński. In 1804, the palace was bought by Ferdynand Gerlach – Warsaw carpenter, who has changed it into a hotel. However, only after taking over this building by Przeździecki & Pusłowski company, the key period of changes started that has made this hotel popular. New owners of the palace built, designed by Henryk Marconi, neo‑Renaissance modern, elegant and the most expensive hotel in Warsaw in the period of Russian Empire. In the newspapers of the time, it was mentioned that it was the first real European hotel and not only Warsaw one. Opening was celebrated in 1857 and hotel became a meeting place of famous artists, businessmen and politicians. An elegant and famous cake shop – Lourse, known for French pastries, cream slices, cakes and ice creams, existing also in current Raffles Hotel had its seat in Europejski Hotel. The coffee house was visited by well known polish writers Bolesław Prus, Henryk Sienkiewicz or Władysław Reymont. In the years 1880-1906, it housed Aleksandr Krywult’s Fine Arts Salon and an art workshop of famous painters – Józef Chełmoński and Antoni Piotrowski who were later joined by Andrzej Chmielowski and Stanisław Witkiewicz. In 1907, 50 years after finishing its construction, the hotel was thoroughly renovated. Another renovation was in the years 1920-1930. Unfortunately, the building was destroyed during the World War II. It was rebuilt later and by Bierut Decree, it became a state property. In the 1960s, the building was managed by Orbis company. In 2005, after many years of struggle, the hotel was recovered by its prewar owners. Seven years later, after reselling of majority share package to a patron of art from Switzerland – Vera Michalska‑Hoffmann, renovation works were started. Combination of 160 years of history of Europejski Hotel with 130 years of experience of Raffles brand has resulted in spectacular opening of a new hotel in 2018. Luxurious hotels of this brand can be found in the best locations around the world. New Raffles Europejski has 106 rooms and apartments, SPA, conference centre, restaurant and cake shop. There is a large collection of photos from the prewar period inside referring to history of Warsaw, former Europejski Hotel and its surroundings. In the rooms and lobby, we can admire the art works of contemporary Polish artists.
Krakowskie Przedmieście 13
Polonia Palace Hotel
Polonia Palace, designed by Juliusz Nagórski and Józef Holewiński is one of three most famous historical hotels in Warsaw. Its name was supposed to refer to patriotic feelings of the Poles. An investor and administrator of this hotel was a count Konstanty Gabriel Przeździecki. The hotel was officially opened on July 14,1913. It was a luxurious building with amazing conveniences for the period such as: central heating, running and warm water, telephones and safes. Inside the hotel, there was a coffee house, perfume shop, wine shop and hairdressing salon. Ballroom and dancing hall, where great banquets and balls were held, stirred up emotions. The most popular and fashionable place of meetings of the actors, artists and politicians was a hotel restaurant visited by, among others, polish writers Stefan Żeromski, Tadeusz Boy‑Żeleński, Kornel Makuszyński or Jan Lechoń. Polonia Hotel survived military actions. During the occupation, German officers lived here, and during Warsaw Uprising, there was a hospital and supply base for Warsaw. Huge role in securing the hotel against looting and destruction was played by its employees who went back to Warsaw from a transition camp and closed the building. Polonia Hotel, as the only building that survived in the centre of Warsaw, would welcome first guests already in 1945, including, among others, general Dwight Eisenhower. This building was the seat of several dozen diplomatic missions. In the 1950s, the banquets and balls for diplomats of the so‑called Eastern Bloc were held here, and in the 1970s, the congresses of foundry workers, trade unions or book fair were organized. At present, Polonia Palace is run by Hotele Warszawskie Syrena company. The building has been thoroughly renovated and many innovative solutions have been applied, however, its historical appearance has been preserved. A great examples of such activities is conversion of an old backyard in a hotel lobby with a glass roof. Polonia Palace will soon celebrate its 110h anniversary.
Al. Jerozolimskie 45
Mamaison Hotel Le Regina Warsaw
History of the building, which is now a boutique hotel Le Regina, is not clear. In old documents, there is a mention of construction of a residence for Paweł Mostowski in the years 1734–1738, which was called Mostowski Palace. Other sources say that this building was owned by wife of an officer Kazimierz Mokrowski. The palace was later managed by royal chef Zettner, who organized there great balls and social events. The next owner was Przeździecki family. In 1762, the palace was converted and large courtyard was built. During the World War II and Warsaw Uprising, the building was destroyed. After reconstruction in the years 1951–1953, based on Mostowski Palace or, depending on the sources, on Przeździecki Palace, it became the seat of U.S. Embassy. Since 2004, it has been the first and only five‑star hotel in Nowe Miasto District. There are 61 rooms and apartments on three floors. Interior has preserved classicistic architectural elements. High‑quality stone and timber, as well as warm colours of beige, bronze and vanilla were used as decorations. Cosy hotel lobby with a fireplace creates a great atmosphere for business and social meetings. In the building, there is also renovated courtyard, including garden and fountain.
In the beginning of the 20th century, within the area of Royal Route and the Nowy Świat District, many residential and public buildings were built. In 1903, the construction of the residence for the count Ksawery Branicki started at Smolna 40. It was designed by a famous architect Bronisław Brochowicz‑Rogoyski, who also designed many tenements at adjacent Foksal street, as well as, the building of the Warsaw University of Technology. The residence distinguished itself by amazing ornaments and palace interior. One of the people who lived in this tenement was a painter Franciszek Żmurko. During the war, the tenement was partially burnt, and then robbed and devastated. It was rebuilt after the war based on old plans and documentation. In 1945, it shared the fate of many other private properties and was nationalized. The property of Family of Branicki Counts was taken away, including Palace in Wilanów. Bolesław Bierut, 1st Secretary of the Polish United Workers’ Party lived here for a short time, and in the 1970s, it was the seat of the Polish Socialist Youth Union. At present, the building has a status of a monument and remains under supervision of a conservation officer. Budizol company, which decided to expand it with a new part, intended for a boutique hotel, has become an owner in 2014. The main architect of the investment was Bogdan Kulczyński, who in accordance with the recommendations of a conservation officer, based on old photos and plans, proposed a combination of a historical tenement with modern architectural elements. 4th floor was added along with a new glazed roof and dormers, making rooms more illuminated. Old ceilings, walls, staircases have been preserved, adding also the elements of modern space. Such solution has been applied, among others, in a spatial, hotel lobby with a glass roof and internal panoramic elevator. An effective lighting is provided by a huge chandelier (weighing about 1,5 tonnes), consisting of 900 colourful balls, hanged on the lines at the top of a glass ceiling. Interior was designed by 2KUL Interior Design. We can enter the hotel by the metal revitalized gate, reconstructed based on old photos. The hotel that was opened in 2017 offers 60 rooms designed in a modern way. The combination of recent interior trends with boutique character of the hotel brought many awards, including first place for the best historical building and the best decor. In the hotel, there is also FLO Restaurant,conference and banquet room.
History of this building, located now in Warsaw‑Wawer District dates back to the 15th century. In old documents, there is a record of building a tavern or inn as a wooden construction. For years, this place witnessed many events important for our country. It is located in the area where battle of Wavre in 1831 took place during November Uprising, and according to some sources, Napoleon Bonaparte was resting here in 1812 planning his march on Moscow. During the uprising, it was the headquarters of general Szembek and general Prądzyński. The historians claim that during Kościuszko Uprising or the third partition of Poland, the tavern was destroyed probably because of its central location at the intersection of important communication routes. Whereas, on the Topographical Card of the Kingdom of Poland published in 1839, Wawer Tavern can be found again. In the years 1848‑1867, dwelling house along with a smithy and vodka distillery were built here. For many years, the building had many owners. After the World War I, Konstanty Morantowicz leased it to Szymon Walczak, who changed the restaurant into the outlet Napoleon Tavern. In the interwar period, the Society of Friends of Grochow was trying to enter it in the list of Polish monuments. During German occupation, Wawer museum with numerous mementoes from the period of November and January Uprising was placed there. At the end of the war, the mementoes were stolen, and the building was used as council flats. In 1965, the building was finally entered in a register of monuments. Praga Południe District Office relocated its occupants and started renovation. However, only in the years 1980‑1984, after leasing the tavern from the State Treasury, private owner converted the old inn into the hotel. This oldest, renovated hotel in Wawer commune offers now 24 rooms and apartments, maintained in an elegant style, with mementoes referring to history of this place. The hotel is surrounded by a beautiful garden.
H15 Boutique Hotel
Art Nouveau tenement at Poznańska 15 in Warsaw was erected for Glass family in 1892. In 1924, the building was sold to Soviet diplomatic mission, then it was the seat of Soviet Embassy, where Polish‑Russian governmental meetings and conferences were held. In 1926, the tenement was converted in the style of Soviet neoclassicism popular in that period. Many ornaments from the period have been preserved to our times, including globe in a wreath above the entrance to the building, sickles and hammers in a present restaurant and in a historical room, playing once role of a ballroom of the Soviet diplomatic mission. Original parquet floor with ornaments has also survived. The tenement was rescued from destruction during air raids because it was occupied by German soldiers in June 1941. In the post‑war period, it was the seat of subsequent ministries and Enterprise of International Freight Forwarding C. Hartwig. In 1995, the tenement was entered in the register of monuments. After thorough and long renovation with preservation of any historical remains of architecture, symbols and ornaments, amazing boutique hotel, combining modern design with history has been created. Glazed fourth floor with a connecting place leading to the old part of the building has been added. Beautiful glass patio with a floor in the shape of a chessboard, intended for business lobby and unique interior and furnishing of 47 rooms and apartments fill guests with admiration. Every floor is in individually selected colour. Interior was designed by Mariola Tomczak. The rooms have been equipped with modern Italian furniture and Rita Zimmerman’s art. In the hotel, there is also Rabbitole Art Room, where the works of famous artists from all over the world are exhibited. Since the opening in 2012, H15 hotel has been regarded as one of the best hotels in Poland, which is confirmed by numerous awards and honourable mentions. The hotel belongs to the Design Hotels Association.
Nobu Hotel Warsaw
In the centre of Warsaw, at the junction of Wilcza 73 and Emilii Plater Street, in a renovated, eclectic tenement that has survived partially during the war, Rialto hotel has been established. Old documents show that the building was owned before 1914 by Tacjan Mierzejewski, and in 1930 by Józef Cybulski. In 2001, two storeys of the building were renovated, designed by DOM Architektury. External, internal and structural walls and staircase have preserved its prewar shape. In 2003, the first boutique hotel in Warsaw was opened in this building. There were 44 rooms, designed individually in art deco style, and interior was dominated by unique, antique furniture. The news of expansion of Rialto hotel stirred up emotions in the world of architects and hotel owners. Medusa Group developed a design. Initially, it was supposed to be expansion of Rialto, but later, as a result of an agreement with Nobu, the designers had to skilfully combine minimalist Japanese form with history of old Warsaw and art deco style. Their design also had to combine the image of contemporary, cosmopolitan Warsaw with the shape of the capital from the period before the war. The colours of both buildings contrast with each other, Rialto hotel is characterized by bright colours, and Nobu Hotel by shades of grey. History and modernity mutually permeate here. Interior was designed by PCH International from the United States. From Nobu Hotel Warsaw, we can go through modernist corridor directly to historical part of Rialto hotel using renovated staircase. Beautiful wooden, glass elevator with a small bench and mirrors have also been preserved. The construction of the new wing started in 2019, and this five‑star hotel was officially opened a year earlier. At present, at the junction of Wilcza and Koszykowa streets, we can admire Nobu Hotel Warsaw, belonging to one of the most luxurious hotel brands established by an American actor, Robert de Niro, famous Nobu chef, Matsuhisa and movie producer, Meir Teper. Nobu Hotel Warsaw, along with Rialto, offers 117 rooms in various styles, from classical to super modern. Nobu Hotel Warsaw is dominated by minimalism of Japanese design, and Rialto by classic style. It also houses conference zone and original Nobu Restaurant, serving elaborate Japanese dishes. Nobu Restaurant has 40 locations worldwide.
The construction of the Primate’s Palace at Senatorska 13/15 dates back to the end of the 16th century. Over the years, the building was destroyed many times, firstly by the Swedes, then Saxons, Cossacks and Vlachs. It was rebuilt by the primate Stanisław Szembek as the house for the primates. In the first half of the 18th century, the palace was rebuilt in rococo style as a residence of the primate Adam Komorowski, and in subsequent years, it was extended in classicistic style, which included side wing with a pavilion, and four‑column porticos was added to the front of the building. Interior was designed by Jan Christian Kamsetzer and Szymon Bogumił Zug. After the third partition of Poland in 1795, the palace was a seat of various offices, and during the interwar period, the building was taken by the Ministry of Agriculture and Agricultural Reforms. During the World War II, the palace was burnt and its reconstruction started in 1949 for the purpose of the Central Office of the Museums and Monuments Protection. For many years, it was a department of registry office and also American library. After being purchased by the Zjednoczone Przedsiębiorstwo Rozrywkowe, the building was for many years a registered office of the company. In 2016, five‑star Bellotto hotel was opened in the palace. It has 20 rooms and apartments in classic, modern style, designed so as to avoid competition to historical details. Side wing of the palace houses, loved by Warsaw inhabitants, Miodowa Coffee House and Focaccia Restaurant, arousing interest of the enthusiasts of modern Italian cuisine. Great location of the hotel and history of the palace attract many foreign tourists.
Residence St. Andrews Palace
In the centre of Warsaw, at Chmielna 30, there is a unique tenement entered into register of monuments. It was built in the years 1860‑61 as a residential building. In 1906, it was rebuilt based on the design of the then conservation officer, Jarosław Wojciechowski, who was fascinated by a writer and artist, Stanisław Witkiewicz. In accordance with his assumption that only Zakopane and folk style was national, he decorated a facade of Art Nouveau building – Zakopane elements and has added triangular top with a motif of sun. At present, the tenement is one of only a few so richly ornamented buildings in Zakopane style in Poland. The building survived the war. At the end of the 1990s, new owner completely renovated both tenement and backyard, creating cosy, bright courtyard with Między Słowami Coffee House and small shops, accessible for the guests from outside. In this tenement, the first Aparthotel in Warsaw was opened, offering 24 fully equipped hotel apartments.
Entered into a register of monuments, the tenement at Świętojańska 2 is located in one of the most prestigious places in Warsaw, next to the Royal Castle. Its history dates back to the 15th century, when the owners of the property were the Dukes of Mazovia. Over the years, the tenement was converted many times, depending on preferences and taste of the owners. We should mention the first conversion in the second half of the 16th century, made by Antonio Vasconti, and later continued by the creator of the town of Zamość – Bernardo Morando, and about the next one, in the beginning of the 17th century, when wooden ceilings with brick ones on the ground floor were replaced. One storey was then added to the building. In the beginning of the 19th century, the tenement housed a wine shop owned by Wincenty Sonner, and then Zygmunt Plocer’s cake shop. In 1918, the building became the property of Władysław Kościelski, a poet and patron of the arts. Since then, it was called Kościelski’s tenement. The then owner of the building has made the most interesting changes in the building interior decor. The roof was converted into hip one, stone window frames were added, interior layout was modernized and central heating was installed. The tenement was connected with neighbouring building, the so‑called psaltery, also belonging to Kościelski. The design was made by the Society for the Preservation of Historical Monuments. In the interwar period, the building was a residence of the ambassadors of the United States and Romania. During the World War, the tenement suffered only slightly, and during the Warsaw Uprising, it was a point of resistance of the Poles. After the war, the building was rebuilt as one of the first ones. In the years 1950-1953, it was an office of the Management of the Castle Reconstruction of the State Construction Enterprise of Conservation Works and Monumental Architecture. Whereas, in the years 1988-1992, the building was rebuilt for the Royal Castle. Since 2007, this place houses a charming boutique hotel offering 22 rooms, designed by famous and highly regarded artists. Its owners collected many old furniture, valuable knick‑knacks, drawings, portraits and interior furnishings. Located in the heart of the Old City District, the hotel attracts many foreign tourists.
Erected in the years 1931–1933, at Napoleon Square 9, now Powstańców Warszawy Square, Prudential House building was one of the most modern and highest buildings in Warsaw. It can be called the first skyscraper. It had 19 storeys and it was 66 meters tall. Its elevation and interior designed by Marcin Weinfeld, as well as innovative reinforced concrete structure created by prof. Stefan Bryła and Wenczesław Poniż caused controversy. The building was called “disgrace to Warsaw” or “reinforced concrete medium to raise ghosts”. An investor was Insurance Company Przezorność, now Prudential, functioning to this day. In 1936, television mast was installed on the building. In 1939, the building was a target of German army. It was bombed and partially burnt down. During the Warsaw Uprising, it became a symbol of combat, with red and white flag flowing at its top. The building was rebuilt in the years 1950–1953, also in social realist style and became the seat of Warszawa Hotel, which had 375 accommodation places. However, it was not too popular. It had functioned until 2002, when Hotele Warszawskie company sold it to Polimex‑Cekop that later resold it to the entrepreneurs and hotel owners from Cracow – Likus family. The hotel was opened again in 2018. New owners focused on quality and modernity, however, they also remembered about history. High‑quality materials were used for interiors – granites from Brazil, Turkey or South Africa, hickory tree, acacia, oak and American nut to decorate the walls. Furniture was ordered from Polish carpenters. Precious materials such as: concrete, steel, glass and copper were used for finishing. The hotel has 142 rooms and apartments. In almost each of them, the elements of reinforced concrete ceilings or elevation have been preserved, resembling history of the 1930s. Bathrooms – their metric area, furnishing and granite and wood finishing fill guests with admiration. Great attention to all details were paid. The hotel has five doors, covered with copper metal sheet, which despite their weight, can open themselves, inviting guests in . Behind the reception, there is a small spacious lobby with black and white granite floor and glass roof. There are also two restaurants in the hotel.
Pl. Powstańców Warszawy 9
Tiffi Old Town Hotel
The tenement at Krakowskie Przedmieście 7 was designed in the style of Italian neo‑Renaissance by Henryk Marconi for Józef Grodzki in the years 1851‑1852. The building was decorated with 12 mythological statues, made by the students of the Fine Arts School. In the years 1872‑1944, the building was owned by Krasiński family, and then Czartoryski family. The tenement was burnt during the World War II. It was rebuilt in the 1950s according to a design of Bohdan Pniewski. Unfortunately, neither sculptures nor decorations were reconstructed. Since 1898, it was the seat of the Central Sugar Laboratory, as well as Polish Educational Society. In the Grodzki’s tenement, Boleslaw Prus our great writer set a plot of his cult novel “Doll”. An annexe was supposed to be inhabited by Rzecki, whereas, the shop of Mincel and Wokulski was on the first floor. Over the years, it housed many companies and shops. Among them Vsevolod Istomina’s tea shop and coffee house “Empire”, and later “Roma” Restaurant. In the interwar period, collection of silverware of Hempel brothers, collection of hunting weapons and shop of a painter Kazimierz Pruszyński could be found here. When the tenement had been taken over by a private owner, also managing Grand Hotel Tiffi in Iława, the tenement was converted under supervision of a conservation officer. In November 2021, Tiffi Old Town Hotel was opened that refers to the novel written by Bolesław Prus. The hotel reception is a memorial room dedicated to Rzecki and reproduces the shop assistant’s house, including his furnishings and utility goods. The photos of the actors playing in a movie and movie posters and mementoes are hanging on the walls. The hotel offers 38 rooms and presidential apartment. Interior refers to interwar period. Black and white photos of a Polish photographer, Szymon Brodziak, regarded in 2019 as the best author of black and white photography in the world are hanged on the walls of the rooms. The hotel also houses SPA‑ Tiffi Spa Dharma, offering oriental and Ayurveidc treatments. Ground floor of the tenement houses the oldest Warsaw bookstore, known as Wokulski’s shop. Both location of the hotel and history connected with described in a novel “Doll” attracts fans of this book and the tenement is frequently visited by school trips from all over Poland.
Krakowskie Przedmieście 7
Nowy Świat is one of the most popular historical streets of Warsaw and part of the Royal Route. In the interwar period, it was a place of artistic life of Warsaw intelligentsia, but also ordinary citizens. There were many cabarets, little theatres, cinemas and restaurants. During World War II, more than 85% of the buildings were destroyed or damaged and only in 1949, Nowy Świat was opened again for the citizens. In 1980, Old Town was entered into UNESCO World Heritage List. At Nowy Świat, there are many historical, renovated buildings and tenements. One of them – called Dorfner Tenement (the first mention of construction dates back to 1770) – houses Teatro Hotel now. It was also a manor house belonging to the order of the Dominicans, and in the 1920s, the building was owned by Łódź Industrial and Trade Bank. During the World War II, the building was partially destroyed. First floor and part of the second floor, as well as 18th‑century cellar have survived. In the years 1949–1951, the tenement was rebuilt. Teatro Hotel was created on thorough artistic concept. Each of 18 rooms has its patron, famous drama or operatic creator. The hotel collected original theatrical materials connected with these artists, their portraits, photos of the actors and original play posters. In the hotel corridors the largest collection of theatre posters in Poland are exhibited. An amazing idea was a creation of a mural on the wall of the courtyard, showing a theatre performance “Krakowiacy i Górale”. Looking out of hotel windows, you can feel like during a real play in the summer theatre. The owners will open soon the Bi‑Ba‑Bo restaurant in the hotel, referring with its style to 1920s – including an offer of cabarets, little theatres or songs and cuisine of our ancestors. The hotel is held under the patronage of the National Philharmonic.
Nowy Świat 66
Arthotel Stalowa 52
The only boutique hotel in the old Praga District is located in a revitalized tenement of 1910, which has survived during the World War II. After thorough renovation of the building in 2012, 19 rooms and apartments located on four floors were put into use. Every room has been designed in a different, unique style. Depending on personal preferences, the guests may choose modern, loft or classic interior. Every room has its name – in the Golden Gate apartment, decorative element is a golden, metal, openwork gate, mischievous monkey hanging from a tree lives in the Black Monkey room, and Cappucino room with warm colours of beige and bronze reminds of Italian coffee. The interior designers combined with success raw plaster and brick walls with old wooden parquet floor, making rooms very cosy. Interior is modern and unique, but still the atmosphere of old Praga District tenement is preserved. The hotel has also created artistic space for young Polish artists, the so‑called living gallery. For a few weeks, their works are exhibited in a lobby and ARTBISTRO Restaurant, which is located in a spacious glass patio designed in industrial style. The patio has been skilfully integrated into old Praga District courtyard. Tables are also set under greatly preserved brick arch in an old passage to the tenement. Historical metal gate has also been reconstructed. On the website of the hotel, we can read that the style of the hotel is a “combination of Parisian romanticism with Berlin industrial”. Arthotel is often visited by the photographers, artists and tourists from all over the world, looking for new hotel trends, modern design and Praga district history.
One of the best preserved tenements at Lwowska 17 in Warsaw is an example of Berlin cubical modernism. It was erected in the years 1911‑1912 by construction company, Horn and Rupiewicz, designed by a Scottish architect – Artur Gurney. For inhabitants of Warsaw at that time, this fanciful building looked like a Disneyland castle – including many balconies, bay windows and ceramic ornaments. During the World War II, beautiful corner tower was destroyed and later reconstructed during renovation in the 1920s. As a result of redevelopment of Koszykowa street, the tenement has gained great view from the side of the Constitution Square. The owners of the building remembered that between 1940s and 1990s, there was a butcher’s shop on the ground floor. In 2012, as a result of reprivatisation, rightful owners recovered the building but put it up for sale. At present, it is a seat of a few institutions, some premises are rented for residential purposes, and the rest is a private property. On initiative of Warsaw art workshop Mamastudio, boutique Autor Rooms have been established in a large apartment with a floor area of 184 m2. It houses six spaces, four rooms with bathrooms, kitchen and common living room. The goal of this innovative workshop was to create completely new quality on the accommodation market. The guests who look for unique atmosphere, love art and modern ideas and artistic design, will feel at home here. Interior is an effect of creative cooperation between an architect, Mateusz Baumiller and designer and co‑owner of Autor Rooms – Magdalena Ponagajbo. Every room was equipped with unique furniture and objects, designed by eminent Polish designers such as Maria Jeglińska, Aleksander Oniszh or Beza Projekt. The artists exhibit their works here, for example, utility glassware, and any object can be ordered by the guests. The breakfasts consisting of ecological products are prepared every day. Autor Rooms organizes exploration of Warsaw, beyond beaten tracks, trips to the exhibitions, theatre, shops. Autor Rooms belongs to a global network, Design Hotels.
In the centre of Warsaw, at Marszałkowska 72, we can admire one of the most beautiful neo‑Gothic corner tenements. The second half of the 19th century was a period of searching for national style in architecture, which was called Vistula and Baltic Gothic style. Edward Goldberg designed a tenement for Taubenhaus family in the Downtown District in this style. The building was put into use in 1898. Refined plaster coating were applied to interior finishing, hand‑made ornamental parquet floor in a shape of rosettes and medallions were mounted, vaulted elements and ogival ceilings were built. Full ceramic bricks were used for construction of external walls of the building. To this day, we can admire beautiful neo‑Gothic turret of a corner wall of the building. During the World War II, the tenement was slightly damaged. The first reconstruction lasted 5 years. The tenement was thoroughly renovated in the years 1998‑2001. Since then, it housed, among others, Institute of Italian Culture and branch of the Italian Institute of Foreign Trade. In the added part – from the side of Jan Skorupka street, a hotel reception and lobby is situated. Since 2004 Residence 1898 offers 24 elegant, luxurious and spacious apartaments, including kitchen annexes, dining rooms and bedrooms. Interior is in bright and warm colours. Glass skylight in the shape of a pyramid was mounted in the renovated large internal backyard. Long‑time clients of the Residence 1898 are the guests of the embassies from various countries. Since 2021, an owner of Residence 1898 has been a company producing movies and TV shows, and its chairman, Krzysztof Grędziński is a member of Polish and European Film Academy. Residence 1898 is planning gradual revitalization of hotel rooms, aiming at combination of the style of the end of 1920s with new trends. Location of the apartaments in this prestigious, historical tenement on the popular trade route attracts Polish and foreign tourists.
Chopin Boutique B&B
In the privacy of the Royal Route, at Smolna 14, we can find an architectural gem among old prewar tenements, first Warsaw example of Berlin modernism. The building was designed by famous architect Edward Eber, and built in 1910. It has no decorations on the facade and the only characteristic element is a pointed, corner tower. The house was inhabited by famous people from the world of politics, aristocracy, artists. Until 1938, it was a home of Roman Dmowski, former Minister of Foreign Affairs and MP, a leader of the National Democracy Party. During the Warsaw Uprising, this area of the city was in the centre of combat, and inhabitants of Warsaw and fighting insurgents were looking for shelter in the basement of the building. In the years 2005‑2010, after renovation and maintenance works, new owners made a decision to start hotel activity in the tenement. Their intention was to keep modernist tenement and reconstruct prewar interior. At present, the guests can choose from 34 unique rooms designed in art deco style. The rooms have no numbers, only names of the patrons, artists, writers, kings, actors – people significant for Warsaw and Poland. The hotel has the largest collection of furniture of a famous designer from Brno, Jindrich Halabala, but in the rooms, there is also Italian, French and German furniture. Name of the hotel is derived from the surname of a pianist and composer, Frederic Chopin. Since 2013, every day at 19:30, regardless of the number of the listeners, in a small concert hall, we can listen to his music live. Chopin salon is run by Anna Hajduk, a pianist, a graduate of Frederic Chopin University of Music in Warsaw. The pianists from abroad occasionally play here and listeners are both ordinary inhabitants of Warsaw and famous artists or politicians. The hotel distinguishes itself by its unusual care of ecology. On the roof covered with plants, beehives were set and in the Filoksenia restaurant, you may drink fresh roasted coffee. In the summer garden always, flowers, tomatoes, pumpkins and cucumbers are planted. Renting bikes is also available. The hotel received a lot of prestigious awards and it was included by popular American writer and traveller, Rick Stevs in his European hotel Guide.